HOW VOTING WORKS FOR THE 2020 MTV EUROPE MUSIC AWARDS ("MTV EMA")
This year's MTV EMA gives the power to you, the viewers, to pick the winners of most of our awards. These are the official terms and conditions for voting for "2020 MTV Europe Music Awards" (the "Official Voting Rules").
ViacomCBS Networks International, a division of Viacom International, Inc. ("VCNI") will be responsible for managing the MTV EMA and all matters related thereto including the selection of nominees, administration of voting, and presentation of the awards.
There are sixteen (16) main categories ("Main Categories") and twenty-nine (29) best local act categories ("Local Categories") open for voting, as detailed in Section 8.
The award for Best Video is chosen by the MTV Music Editorial Team and is not eligible for voting.
VCNI reserves the right to add additional categories and voting methods at a later date.
- How to Vote and Voting Period
Follow the Voting Method instructions below to submit your votes for your nominee preferences during the applicable Voting Period (as detailed below). There is no limit on the number of votes you can submit.
Votes submitted during certain periods ("Bonus Voting Period(s)") will be accorded additional value (determined by VCNI from time to time) (e.g. one vote counts as 2 votes, or 3 votes etc.). Currently, the Bonus Voting Periods details are: every Sunday during the regular Voting Periods, from 12am to 11:59pm CET, each vote submitted during such times will be equal to 2 votes. VCNI may designate additional Bonus Voting Periods, and VCNI will announce on the MTV EMA social channels the details of any such additional Bonus Voting Periods (including the applicable dates/times of such Bonus Voting Periods and the value that will be accorded to votes submitted during such periods).
The voting period for the Main Categories, except for (i) Biggest Fans, and (ii) Best Video, starts on October 6, 2020 at 12:00 PM CET and ends on November 2, 2020 at 11:59 PM CET.
Voting for the Main Categories is as follows:
|Category||Voting Method||Start Date||End Date|
|Biggest Fans||Social Media: Instagram Reels||30 October, 2020 @ 8pm CET||5 November, 2020 @ 11:59pm CET|
|All Other Main Categories||Website: (mtvema.com)||6 October, 2020|
@ 12pm CET
|2 November, 2020|
@ 11:59pm CET
The Local Categories gives viewers and fans the opportunity to vote for the Best Local Act in each country/region listed in Section 8 and on mtvema.com. The Local Categories may be referred to by the specific country/region, such as "Best Dutch Act", "Best Belgian Act", etc.
You will be able to vote for the Best Local Act nominees in any participating country/local region.
The voting periods for the Local Categories are as follows:
|Category||Voting Method||Start Date||End Date|
|Local Categories||Website: mtvema.com||6 October, 2020|
@ 12pm CET
|2 November 2020|
@ 11:59pm CET
ONLINE: Submit your nominee preferences during the applicable voting period, as set forth above, by visiting mtvema.com/vote/. Click the "Vote" button adjacent to the nominee's image or video.
SOCIAL: Submit your nominee preference during the applicable voting period, as set forth above, as follows: (i) record an original Instagram Reel (which must comply in all respects with these Official Voting Rules, including without limitation, the terms of Section 7) in which you announce who your nominee is for the Biggest Fans category; (ii) in your Instagram Reel and in the caption for your Reel, include the Biggest Fans Hashtag (details below) that corresponds to your nominee; and (iii) publish your Instagram Reel (with caption) to your Instagram account (each such social vote, an "IG Social Vote").
The "Biggest Fans Hashtags" are:
- Ariana Grande: #MTVEMAAriana
- Blackpink: #MTVEMABLACKPINK
- BTS: #MTVEMABTS
- Justin Bieber: #MTVEMABieber
- Lady Gaga: #MTVEMAGaga
- Taylor Swift: #MTVEMATaylor
The corresponding Biggest Fans Hashtag must be in the exact format provided above in order to be an eligible IG Social Vote. You may submit more than one IG Social Vote but each such IG Social Vote may only include one of the Biggest Fan Hashtags (i.e. each IG Social Vote submitted may only constitute a vote for one Biggest Fans nominee, therefore if an IG Social Vote includes more than one Biggest Fan Hashtag it will not be an eligible vote).
- Determination of Winners
The total number of eligible votes for each nominee within a category submitted during the Voting Period will be calculated by VCNI and the nominee with the most eligible votes, as determined by VCNI, will be declared the winner of such category. Notwithstanding the total number of votes submitted and calculated for any category in accordance with these rules, VCNI (and any authorized representative thereof) reserves the right, for any reason, to select and determine category winners in its sole and absolute discretion (and such selection will be final). If any aspect of the voting process is interrupted for any reason, is found to have been tampered with in any way, or for any other reason that VCNI believes in its sole discretion to be reasonably necessary, VCNI reserves the right to cancel, modify, extend, or suspend the voting process, and/or to select the winners at its discretion and may take into consideration the number of votes received by a nominee up until the time of the interruption or cancelation of the voting process; any such determination by VCNI will be final and binding.
- Winners Announcement
The winner of each Main Category will be announced during the MTV EMA on 8 November 2020 or on VCNI's MTV EMA social channels.
The winner of each Local Category will be announced on the Website or VCNI's MTV EMA social channels on 8 November 2020, except that certain Local Categories may be announced on the Website or on VCNI's MTV EMA social channels prior to 8 November, 2020 (as determined by VCNI).
- General Terms
You participate in this voting process at your own risk. Use of any device to automate a vote is prohibited, including, but not limited to, software-generated, robotic, programmed, script, macro or other automated votes. VCNI reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any vote it suspects or finds: (a) to have used a software-generated, robotic, programmed, script, macro or other automated online or text message vote; (b) to have tampered with the voting process; (c) to be in violation of these Official Voting Rules; or (d) to involve unsportsmanlike, disruptive, abusive, annoying, threatening or harassing activities.
Online and social media votes may be subject to standard internet connection fees and data rates (please contact your service provider for pricing plans and details). If you are not the bill payer, we recommend you obtain the bill payer's permission.
By participating in this voting process, you agree to be bound by these Official Voting Rules. Failure to comply with these rules may result in a voter's disqualification solely at the discretion of VCNI. VCNI reserves the right to modify these Official Voting Rules at any time in its sole discretion.
VCNI and its parent companies, affiliated and related companies, and any entity associated with this voting process (including any social media platform used to submit an official vote) and their respective officers, directors, employees, shareholders, parents, subsidiaries and affiliates (the "Released Parties") are not responsible nor liable for (a) difficulty accessing the internet, (b) errors in transmission, (c) outages, delays, problems, failures, or malfunctions of any telephone network or lines, cellular equipment, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, or wireless services, websites or social media platforms, (d) any incomplete, lost, late, delayed, misdirected, or garbled votes or failure to receive votes, (e) injury or damage to you from participating in, or downloading materials or software (or attempting to participate in or download materials or software). The Released Parties are not responsible for and shall not be liable for: (i) any condition caused by events beyond the control of the Released Parties that may cause the voting to be disrupted or corrupted; (ii) typographical or other errors in the printing, the offering or the administration of these voting rules or (iii) any errors in the announcement of potential winners. You assume all liability for any injury or damages caused or claimed to be caused by participation in the voting opportunity described in these voting rules, and release the Released Parties, from any such claim or liability.
To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, you agree to indemnify and hold the Released Parties harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys' fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party ("Claims") against any of the Released Parties due to or arising out of your participation in the MTV EMA voting (including without limitation, any IG Social Votes submitted by you) and/or your conduct during and in connection with the MTV EMA voting, including but not limited to any Claims related to trademark, copyright, or other intellectual property rights, right of publicity, right of privacy or defamation.
All interpretations of these Official Voting Rules and the decisions of VCNI relating to this voting process are final. Any inquiries, complaints, or comments regarding the 2020 MTV EMA should be directed to VCNI and not to any other individuals or entities.
- Social Voting Additional Terms.
- Your IG Social Vote you submit must constitute a completely original work by the you (for example, without limitation, except for any such elements provided directly on Instagram as part of the Instagram Reel tools, your Instagram Reel must not (i) be taken or composed, in whole or in part, from any other source other than you, and (ii) must not contain images, music, language, lyrics, characters, graphics, or other elements which have been created, developed, copyrighted, trademarked and/or patented, or which are owned or subject to proprietary or licensing rights of or by an individual or entity other than you in your personal capacity). Your IG Social Vote must not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity. If your IG Social Vote contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of your IG Social Vote, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the use and exhibition of your IG Social Vote by VCNI in the manner set forth in these Official Voting Rules.
- As conditions of your participation in the MTV EMA voting, and by publishing materials in connection with your IG Social Vote, you represent and warrant that: (a) your IG Social Vote is your original work; (b) you have secured all necessary rights to the contents of your IG Social Vote and all components thereof (including, but not limited to, master recording rights and publishing rights with respect to any musical recordings), and that you have obtained all rights, consents, and permission, including, but not limited to, those of persons participating in your IG Social Vote, necessary to grant the rights granted herein, including, without limitation, permissions from any person whose name, likeness, or voice is used in your IG Social Vote (other than the names of the Biggest Fans nominees) (e.g., you must not have an exclusive recording agreement with a record label or other third party which has not consented to the rights granted herein); (c) your IG Social Vote is free and clear of any liens or claims with respect to the use of your IG Social Vote in the manner authorized herein and will not give rise to any claims of infringement, invasion of privacy or publicity nor infringe on any other rights or interests of any third party, or give rise to any claims for any payment whatsoever, including, but not limited to, claims for re-use fees or residuals; (d) your IG Social Vote does not and will not violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation; and (e) your IG Social Vote is not and will not be defamatory, trade libelous, pornographic, or obscene. You will indemnify and hold harmless, the Released Parties from any claims to the contrary. You further warrant and represent that, upon VCNI's request, you can make available to VCNI written copies of any and all such permissions required by these Official Voting Rules. By submitting your IG Social Vote, you agree to never sue or assert any claim against any of the Released Parties in connection with the use of your IG Social Vote or any materials contained in your IG Social Vote, in whole or in part, by any of the Released Parties. You agree to release, indemnify, and hold harmless the Released Parties from any and all Claims that any advertising, presentation, or content distributed by any medium, or any other material subsequently produced, presented, and/or prepared by or on behalf of the Released Parties infringes on the rights of your work as contained in your IG Social Vote.
- By submitting your IG Social Vote, you hereby grant to VCNI and its parent, subsidiaries and affiliates a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, unlimited, non-exclusive licence to (and authorise others to) edit, copy, modify, transmit, adapt, collate, publish, broadcast, display, reproduce, delete and otherwise use in any and all media (whether now known or hereafter invented), by any means and in any and all media as they, in their discretion, see fit in and in connection with the MTV EMA and any promotional or marketing materials related to VCNI, its parent, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and MTV EMA (including any future iterations thereof):
- all IG Social Vote content (in whole or in part); and
- any information or other material (including without limitation, your name, likeness, biographical information, social handles or screen names, voice, text, images, designs, audio and/or video clips) submitted as part of your IG Social Vote.
- To the extent possible under applicable law, you hereby irrevocably and unconditionally waive in favour of VCNI, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates and their respective licensees, assigns, and successors in title, all "moral rights" and any rights of a similar nature in any (i) IG Social Vote and (ii) any materials created in connection with activities referred to herein to which you may be, or may at any time in the future be, entitled.
- You hereby confirm and shall ensure that your IG Social Vote:
- is not defamatory;
- is not sexually explicit or suggestive, does not contain nudity or any dangerous activity or is profane, pornographic or violent;
- is not, expressly or impliedly, derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, or age group or endorses any form of hate or hate group;
- does not promote any particular political agenda or message;
- does not contain any symbols, clothing or other messages associated with any gang;
- does not contain any music which has not been composed in its entirety by you, and is in all other respects your original work, unless such music is in the public domain or provided under an open license and not subject to any third party licenses or fees (e.g. Creative Commons) or is directly provided by Instagram as part of the Instagram Reel tools;
- does not contain any third-party logos or brand names;
- has not been copied from and does not infringe or breach the rights (including, but not limited to, any intellectual property rights including any copyright or design rights) of any third party;
- does not reveal any personal information including, but not limited to, personal names, email addresses, street addresses or license plate numbers;
- does not show any identifiable individual unless such individual has expressly consented to being featured in your IG Social Vote (and for your IG Social Vote to be used in connection with the MTV EMA);
- does not contain any website links;
- is not otherwise offensive or illegal in any way or depicts or simulates any activity that is offensive or illegal.
- You hereby confirm and promise that you shall immediately at VCNI's request remove your IG Social Vote as VCNI directs and/or any link thereto from any other platform or website on which your IG Social Vote has been made available by you or on your behalf.
- Decisions as to whether your IG Social Vote breaches or infringes these Official Voting Rules in any way shall be made by VCNI in its sole discretion. Any IG Social Vote that does not comply in all material respects with these Official Voting Rules may not be counted (or may be later discounted) as an eligible vote.
- VCNI can accept no responsibility for IG Social Votes that are lost, delayed, misdirected or undelivered. Incomplete votes will not be considered. VCNI shall not be responsible for technical errors in telecommunications networks, Internet access or otherwise preventing submission of an IG Social Vote.
- VCNI shall not be liable for any loss or damage howsoever caused (whether in contract, tort or statutory duty or otherwise) arising out of or in connection with the MTV EMA voting and IG Social Votes other than death or personal injury caused by negligence of VCNI and/or their personnel and/or deceit or fraud by VCNI and/or their personnel.
- Main Categories
- Best Video
- Best Artist
- Best Song
- Best Collaboration
- Best Pop
- Best Group
- Best New
- Biggest Fans
- Best Latin
- Best Rock
- Best Hip Hop
- Best Electronic
- Best Alternative
- Video for Good
- Best Push
- Best Virtual Live
- Local Categories
- Best African Act
- Best Australian Act
- Best Belgian Act
- Best Brazilian Act
- Best Canadian Act
- Best Caribbean Act
- Best French Act
- Best German Act
- Best Greater China Act
- Best Hungarian Act
- Best India Act
- Best Israeli Act
- Best Italian Act
- Best Japan Act
- Best Korea Act
- Best Lat Am Central Act
- Best Lat Am North Act
- Best Lat Am South Act
- Best Dutch Act
- Best New Zealand Act
- Best Nordic Act
- Best Polish Act
- Best Portuguese Act
- Best MTV Russia Act
- Best Southeast Asia Act
- Best Spanish Act
- Best Swiss Act
- Best UK & Ireland Act
- Best US Act