insider has revealed a tantalising treat of need to know backstage facts about the 2014 MTV EMA
– revealing the real truth
about what goes on behind the scenes to create and produce one of the biggest global music events of the year that celebrates the hottest artists from around the world.FROM THE CITY OF GLASGOW…
…TO MAIN SHOW PRODUCTION
- This is the first time in its 20-year history that the MTV EMA has been held in Glasgow!
- The awards will be held at Scotland's latest landmark arena – the SSE Hydro – which only recently opened its doors in 2013, since becoming one of the most modern and exciting arenas in the world.
- MTV cast over 2,000 local fans – via public castings and mobile castings in local schools and universities – to be part of the MTV EMA live audience, with 700 fans invited to scream their hearts out of the MTV EMA red carpet.
- The 2014 MTV EMA set has been designed by celebrated German stage and set designer Florian Wieder – creative mastermind who was also responsible for MTV EMA set designs in Frankfurt, Berlin, Munich, Liverpool and Amsterdam.
- Although stage designs remain a closely guarded secret, MTV can reveal the show has a "time travel" inspired theme; which will be echoed on the red carpet, in the set design and via the main show performances.
- The 2014 MTV EMA will feature one of the biggest sets EVER in MTV EMA history, measuring 50m wide by 20m high, backed with a giant high resolution LED screen and over 30m of transparent gauze.
- To power the show, nearly 10,000 kilometres of cable have been laid down.
- 1,200 flight case boxes have been used to transport equipment such as lights, cameras and tripods.
- 30 HD cameras are used to shoot the show and 40 TV screens have been installed backstage.
…TO HAIR & MAKE UP
- To ensure a truly explosive 20th anniversary celebration, the MTV EMA will be ignited by 600 pyrotechnics during the main show including spitfire flames, air flame explosions and smoke storm machines.(Watch out for the exploding microphone stand…!)
- The 40 person MTV EMA professional makeup artist team has spent over 500 hours with internationally renowned make-up artist and MTV EMA guru, Glam Squad's Debbie Dannell.
- A backstage wiggery has been installed to house over 500 over-the-top wigs, 300 hairpieces, 200 weaves, and 100 poly heads, with the onsite help of 22 expert hairdressers.
- Collectively, the MTV EMA Glam Squad has racked up over 80 years of experience working on the show with many professional makeup artists returning to the show year after year from all over Europe!
- The team includes a specialist graffiti artist – The Urbanist – who has a unique way of treating the human body as a living canvas!
ARTIST AND CREW CATERING…
- Despite the scale of the event, an intimate team of 15 wardrobe staff have worked around the clock to produce more than 80 costumes for dancers, presenters and artists.
- The team has used over 200 metres of fabric, 50 metres of chiffon and 1,000 hand-sewn rhinestones.
THE INCREDIBLE DANCERS…
- 2014 MTV EMA performers, presenters and crew will enjoy over 40,000 delicious meals and snacks from specialist showbiz caterers Eat Your Hearts Out (EYHO) using locally sourced, high quality ingredients.
- The most popular dessert, served at the MTV EMA, is sticky toffee pudding – a to-die-for treat for the hungry MTV EMA crew!
THE CASTING CALLS…
- This year's troupe of 30 dancers, selected by MTV EMA veteran Aicha McKenzie of AMCK (from 700+ who auditioned!) will be choreographed by Kristin Denehy.
- Dancers will perform with giant headdresses – whilst fire-juggling – 4 metres up in the air (but fortunately not at the same time!)
….AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST, THE WORLD OF DIGITAL!
- Over 1,000 people came along to the 2014 MTV EMA open castings, including:
- 3 groups of cheer leaders, 2 school teachers, Twins, a mother and daughter duo, a unicorn, who drove through the night from London and waited outside the venue from midnight, and a performing hotdog!
- The casting team also saw a husband and wife rapping duo, an opera singer, a juggler, break dancers, beat boxers, a champion tap dancer (2nd in the world) and none other than Miss Glasgow!
- A grandma came to collect granddaughter then decided to audition – to "We Will Rock You".
- The casting unit went 'mobile' to local schools, colleges and universities, they auditioned over 500 students.
About the 2014 MTV EMA
- To retain its crown as one of MTV's biggest social experiences of the year, MTV has flown in its team of 20 digital media experts who will be working 24/7 to deliver content for MTV's social platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Instagram, Imoji and Vine.
- The 2014 MTV EMA app is available on iOS and Android in 10 languages, while the 2014 MTV EMA website is available in 19 languages across 34 regions.
- Fans at home can check out exclusive behind-the-scenes shots and clips via the MTV EMA website, including shots taken from a 360-degree essence booth – just as the stars are about to walk the "timelessly" fabulous red carpet!
The 2014 MTV EMA sponsored by essence, Europe's No.1 cosmetics brand** and Someone Like Me
, a global sex education campaign partnership between Durex and MTV Staying Alive Foundation, will air across MTV's global network of more than 60 channels reaching nearly 700 million households around the world as well as through syndication. In addition, its convergent programming and content will reach the entire interactive community, via MTV's more than 200 digital media properties around the world. The 2014 MTV EMA
will broadcast on Sunday, November 9th at 9:00PM CET* from the SSE Hydro in Glasgow.
The MTV EMA – MTV's global celebration of the hottest stars in music – recognizes artists from around the world and across genres, and brings together music fans everywhere for a one-of-a-kind experience in the weeks leading up to and at the show. Bruce Gillmer and Richard Godfrey are Executive Producers for the 2014 MTV EMA
. The 2014 MTV EMA
marks the first time that the show will be held in Glasgow, Scotland and has received support from Glasgow City Marketing Bureau and EventScotland. Follow @MTVEMA
and check #MTVEMA
on Twitter and find us on Instagram
. For MTV EMA news, updates and press materials please visit press.mtvema.com
or follow us @VIMN_PR
*Check local listings.
**Euromonitor, IRI, Nielsen in units 2013About MTV
MTV is the world's premier youth entertainment brand. With a global reach of more than a half-billion households, MTV is the cultural home of the millennial generation, music fans and artists, and a pioneer in creating innovative programming for young people. MTV reflects and creates pop culture with its award-winning content built around compelling storytelling, music discovery and activism across TV, online and mobile. Outside of the United States, MTV is part of Viacom International Media Networks, a division of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA), one of the world's leading creators of programming and content across all media platforms. PRESS CONTACTS:
Kate Laverge – email@example.com
– +1 212 654 4335 – @VIMN_PR
Seema Alibhai – firstname.lastname@example.org
– +44 203 580 2106 – @VIMN_PR