2016 MTV EMA OMGs: A LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENS BEHIND THE SCENES AT THE EMAs
November 5, 2016
The MTV EMAs are back and bigger than ever in 2016 as the show takes over Rotterdam this weekend. But before anyone takes the stage at Ahoy Rotterdam on 6 November at 9pm CET, there's a lot that happens behind the scenes to make the show as stunning as possible.
Here are some of the fascinating facts from this year's 2016 MTV EMAs:
THE LOCAL FLAIR
● THE FANS: In addition to the MTV EMA tickets purchased, thousands came to two ticket giveaways, which gave tickets to Rotterdam's most enthusiastic music fans. They began lining up as early as 6am, staying busy with an exclusive first-listen of state of the art headphones by EVOS, international sponsors of the show.
● To stand out from the crowd, those competing dressed up as their favorite celebrities (including Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj), reenacted epic music videos (like the supermarket dance for the Justin Bieber, Skrillex and Diplo track "Where Are Ü Now"), decked themselves out in temporary MTV tattoos and body art, baked cakes, and even tweaked the lyrics of some of today's biggest hits to show why they are the ultimate MTV EMA fans.
● THE HOTELS: For the 2016 MTV EMAs, MTV booked more than 6,000 hotel room nights across 17 local venues, with 85 percent of Rotterdam's hotel rooms completely full.
● THE ORCHESTRA: This year's MTV EMAs will feature a live performance by the Netherlands Student Orchestra (NSO), 100 talented students with classical music as their greatest hobby.
● THE SOURCE: Almost all of the food eaten at the 2016 MTV EMAs will be locally sourced from farmers and suppliers in the Netherlands; in fact, the team goes to the market at 3am each morning to gather all their ingredients for the day. A few special items were brought from afar, though, including cheddar cheese from Britain for an incredible mac!
● BY THE NUMBERS: The catering team goes through 10,000 eggs (over 1,000 a day!) to make all of the food at the MTV EMAs, including an average of 400-500 cupcakes per day - a number which quadruples on the day of the big show itself. For drinks, 800 bottles (560 litres) of Ketel One vodka are on site at the Rotterdam Ahoy, as well as another 200 bottles of Nolet's Gin and four pallets full of cranberry juice both of which are local Netherlands-based brands.
● WHAT YOU MAY NOT HAVE KNOWN: With food, you eat with your eyes first, so the catering team creates elaborate displays to accompany all meals, including daily locally-sourced fresh flowers and a stunning show-day piece of custom art from AAAFresh123.
● THE CONCEPT: Julio Himde is this year's set designer, creating a four-stage electronic art installation that speaks to the visual language of EDM and music today, complete with a geometric aesthetic that honors the historic evolution of Rotterdam's city architecture.
● THE CREATION: The set, built by Dutch-based firm Unbranded, uses approximately 3000 meters of LED strips, and is constructed of exposed industrial scaffolding, with a stage floor made of glass, mirror, water, and LED lights. It even has a built-in elevator and incorporates audience members directly into the set.
● WHAT YOU MAY NOT HAVE KNOWN: The Dutch are the tallest people on earth; therefore, the stage height was raised higher than usual so cameras on the floor could have a clear view through the crowd!
● THE CREATORS: It takes dozens of extremely skilled makeup artists and hair stylists to put together all the looks for the MTV EMAs each year. This year's team, led by Debbie Dannell, includes: Dutch MAC senior artist Connie Man; the outstanding makeup artist and founder of Face Lace Phyllis Cohen; incredible red carpet hair wizard Marco Arena; and specialist graffiti artist The Urbanist, who creates one-of-a-kind body art.
● THE WARDROBE: Host Bebe Rexha will have 15 outfit changes throughout the show.
● BY THE NUMBERS: To put all the MTV EMAs looks together, the 2016 show will have on-hand: 1,000 lipstick colors; 40 kilos of glitter; 500 sets of lashes; 200 cans of hairspray; over 500 wigs (plus another 100 backup wigs); and enough hair extensions to span the entire length of the red carpet - twice!
● HOW TO GET THE LOOK: The 2016 MTV EMA looks are courtesy of a wide variety of products, including: hair extensions by NK-EXtensions; haircare & hair styling products by Redken; hair tools by Marco Arena; Retro Matte Liquid Lipcolour, Pro Longwear Waterproof Colour Stick, Liptensity Lipstick, Strobe Cream and 35 Lash by MAC; and custom Dazzliners by Face Lace.
● THE DANCERS: Over 800 dancers auditioned at two open casting calls to be a part of this year's show, with only 20 making the final cut. This year's MTV EMA dancers hail from Holland, the UK, Denmark, France, Germany, Spain, Russia, Belgium and Romania. The youngest is only 17 years old!
● THE FEET: 64 pairs of shoes - or 128 sneakers - were provided by Foot Locker for dancers to don during the show.
● WHAT YOU MAY NOT HAVE KNOWN: The dancers have just two days to learn the routines and choreography prior to rehearsals on-stage with the talent themselves.
• THE MINTY FRESHNESS: Listerine, sponsor of the 2016 MTV EMA red carpet, will be reflected with a special twist - by infusing mint into the air!
The 2016 MTV EMAs will broadcast live around the world from the Ahoy Rotterdam in Rotterdam, Netherlands on Sunday, November 6 at 9pm CET.
The 2016 MTV EMAs will be hosted and feature a performance by Bebe Rexha, with additional performances by The Weeknd, Bruno Mars, Green Day, Kings of Leon, OneRepublic, Martin Garrix, Afrojack, Shawn Mendes, DNCE, Lukas Graham and Zara Larsson and appearances by G-Eazy, Charli XCX, Tinie Tempah, Idris Elba, Jaden Smith, Nina Dobrev, Deepika Padukone, Jourdan Dunn, Winnie Harlow and more.
Additional performers and presenters will be announced shortly.
The official international sponsor of the 2016 MTV EMAs is Évos headphones.
2016 MTV EMAs voting is open until November 5 at 11:59PM CET so visit mtvema.com to cast your vote!
To stay in tune with all things EMA, follow us on @MTVEMA on Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter and Facebook and follow the social conversation using #MTVEMA.
For artwork, press assets and further information please visit press.mtvema.com.
About the 2016 MTV EMAS
The 2016 MTV EMAs, in partnership with Évos headphones, will broadcast LIVE across the globe on Sunday, 6th November at 9:00PM CET** from the Ahoy Rotterdam, in Rotterdam, Netherlands, with support from Rotterdam Festivals, Rotterdam Partners and the city of Rotterdam. One of the biggest global music events of the year that celebrates the hottest artists from around the world, the MTV EMAs bring music fans a unique, multi-platform experience across MTV's global network of more than 60 channels and over 300 digital media properties and platforms. Follow @MTVEMA on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Vine, and join the conversation with #MTVEMA. Fans are invited to participate in the 2016 MTV EMA campaign using MTV Bump. Bruce Gillmer and Richard Godfrey are Executive Producers for the 2016 MTV EMAs. Debbie Phillips and Chloe Mason are Producers. For MTV EMA news, updates and press materials please visit press.mtvema.com.
**Check local listings.