is to honour the musical legacy of British rock legend Ozzy Osbourne
at the 2014 MTV EMA,
one of the biggest global music events of the year that celebrates the hottest artists from around the world. The veteran hard rock singer-songwriter and pop culture phenomenon will receive the Global Icon Award
at the 2014 MTV EMA
will broadcast live to MTV channels around the world from the SSE Hydro in Glasgow on Sunday, 9 November at 9:00pm CET*. Osbourne
revealed the news to fans today via his Facebook
is a multi-platinum recording artist, a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee and a three-time Grammy® winning singer and songwriter, who has sold more than 120 million albums worldwide. Osbourne's
career has spanned more than four decades (as both a successful solo artist and as the lead singer of Black Sabbath) and his music is as relevant today as ever, still being heard daily on TV, in movies, on radio and at stadium sports events. This week saw the release of Osbourne's Memoirs of a Madman
. The two collections highlight Ozzy's
career: the Memoirs of a Madman
CD includes all 17 of his greatest hits compiled in one place for the first time; the two-disc DVD set is a definitive visual collection which includes classic music videos, along with unreleased and out-of-print live performances, plus interviews from his solo career. Osbourne won legions of new fans when he and his family participated in legendary MTV reality series, The Osbournes (2002-5).
- "Ozzy's impact on music and pop culture has been tremendous. For over four decades (and counting!) he's entertained, influenced, inspired and sometimes shocked legions of diehard fans around the globe. We're thrilled and honored to announce that this year's MTV Global Icon will be Ozzy Osbourne!" – Bruce Gillmer, Executive Vice President of Talent and Music Programming / Events, Viacom International Media Networks.
- Former recipients of the MTV Global Icon Award include Eminem (2013), Whitney Houston (2012), Queen (2011) and Bon Jovi (2010).
- Global hip hop superstar Nicki Minaj is set to host the 2014 MTV EMA.
- Ariana Grande, Ed Sheeran and Nicki Minaj have been previously confirmed to perform at the 2014 MTV EMA.
- Fans can vote now for their favourite artists across all 2014 MTV EMA categories at mtvema.com. Voting will close on 8 November 2014 at 11:59pm CEST.
The 2014 MTV EMA sponsored by essence, Europe's No.1 cosmetics brand** and Someone Like Me
, a global sex education campaign partnership between Durex and MTV Staying Alive Foundation, will air across MTV's global network of more than 60 channels reaching nearly 700 million households around the world as well as through syndication. In addition, its convergent programming and content will reach the entire interactive community, via MTV's more than 200 digital media properties around the world. The 2014 MTV EMA
will broadcast on Sunday, November 9th at 9:00PM CET* from the SSE Hydro in Glasgow.
The MTV EMA – MTV's global celebration of the hottest stars in music – recognizes artists from around the world and across genres, and brings together music fans everywhere for a one-of-a-kind experience in the weeks leading up to and at the show. Bruce Gillmer and Richard Godfrey are Executive Producers for the 2014 MTV EMA
. The 2014 MTV EMA
marks the first time that the show will be held in Glasgow, Scotland and has received support from Glasgow City Marketing Bureau and EventScotland. Follow @MTVEMA
and check #MTVEMA
on Twitter and find us on Instagram
. For MTV EMA news, updates and press materials please visit press.mtvema.com
or follow us @VIMN_PR
*Check local listings.
**Euromonitor, IRI, Nielsen in units 2013 About MTV
MTV is the world's premier youth entertainment brand. With a global reach of more than a half-billion households, MTV is the cultural home of the millennial generation, music fans and artists, and a pioneer in creating innovative programming for young people. MTV reflects and creates pop culture with its award-winning content built around compelling storytelling, music discovery and activism across TV, online and mobile. Outside of the United States, MTV is part of Viacom International Media Networks, a division of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA), one of the world's leading creators of programming and content across all media platforms. PRESS CONTACTS:
Kate Laverge – email@example.com
– +1 212 654 4335 – @VIMN_PR
Seema Alibhai – firstname.lastname@example.org
– +44 203 580 2106 – @VIMN_PR