It was all about the music as the television set came alive on stage for the 2015 MTV EMAs
, featuring unforgettable moments by powerhouse performers, broadcast across the globe from the Mediolanum Forum in Milan with Host Ed Sheeran and co-host Ruby Rose. The show garnered more than 600 million votes, with Justin Bieber
, Ed Sheeran
, Nicki Minaj
, One Direction
, Rihanna, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Taylor Swift, Shawn Mendes
and more winning MTV EMAs.
The biggest moments:
FULL LIST OF 2015 MTV EMA WinnersBEST SONG
- Justin Bieber showcased his purpose with an incredible performance of What Do You Mean?, and was the biggest winner of the night with five MTV EMAs: he took home Best Male for a sixth year in a row; won Best Look, Worldwide Act: North America; Best Collaboration for his work with Skrillex and Diplo on Where Are You Now?and Beliebers came out in full effect to help him win Biggest Fans in a heated social vote, with One Direction landing in second place.
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis opened the show with a high-octane performance of their award-winning song Downtown, which featured mopeds, travellators and Eric Nally flying high above the stage. Later in the evening, they won Best Video for Downtown.
- Pharrell Williams closed the night with a powerful performance of his hit track Freedom. Afterward, the broadcast cut to Piazza Duomo in central Milan, where thousands of fans held up a massive 23 x 16 metre 'Freedom' flag. Incorporating national flags from all over the world, the flag symbolized the birth of a utopian country that knows no borders and kicked off the MTV Freedom campaign, which seeks to raise awareness, activism and donations in support of the current refugee crisis. More information is available at freedom.mtvema.com. #EMAfreedom
- Host Ed Sheeran was busy throughout the night. Not only did he commandeer proceedings with co-host Ruby Rose, but he joined Rudimental atop a collection of retro radios for a funky collaboration on their hit Lay it All On Me, and took home awards for Best Live Act and Best World Stage.
- In an unforgettable nod to this year's host country, legendary Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli performed a breathtaking rendition of his classic Time To Say Goodbye, then joined powerhouse Tori Kelly for a once-in-a-lifetime duet of Pink's hit song, Just Give Me a Reason.
- Last year's MTV EMA Host Nicki Minaj won Best Hip Hop; Best Pop went to One Direction; Rihanna nabbed Best Female; Taylor Swift won Best Song with Bad Blood featuring Kendrick Lamar; and Best Alternative went to Lana Del Rey.
- Jason Derulo took over the arena with his hit Want To Want Me, as he and his troop of popping dancers zoomed between all three stages on SwegWays.
- Ellie Goulding wowed the crowd as she emerged from a cluster of giant, mirrored crystals for a glittering performance of her hit Love Me Like You Do.
- MTV PUSH artists Jess Glynne and James Bay both made their marks on the MTV EMA stage with impressive debut performances. Meanwhile, twenty one pilots and superstar DJs Martin Garrix and Afrojack entertained tens of thousands of fans in central Milan's Piazza Duomo with a spectacular outdoor MTV EMAs concert.
- Rock heroes Duran Duran were honored with the first ever MTV Video Visionary Award, celebrating the greatest pioneers in the history of the music video art form.
- The conclusion of the show also included an exciting announcement: the 2016 MTV EMAs will be held in the Dutch city of Rotterdam. See you there!
Taylor Swift featuring Kendrick Lamar Bad Blood BEST POP
One Direction BEST FEMALE
Rihanna BEST MALE
Justin Bieber BEST LIVE ACT IN PARTNERSHIP WITH GUITAR HERO LIVE ®
Ed Sheeran BEST NEW ACT
Shawn Mendes BEST VIDEO
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Downtown BEST ROCK
Coldplay BEST ALTERNATIVE
Lana Del Rey BEST HIP HOP
Nicki Minaj BEST ELECTRONIC
Martin Garrix BEST PUSH
Shawn Mendes BEST COLLABORATION
Justin Bieber, Skrillex, Diplo Where Are You Now? BIGGEST FANS
Justin Bieber BEST LOOK IN PARTNERSHIP WITH TEZENIS UNDERWEAR
Justin Bieber BEST WORLD STAGE
Ed Sheeran V Festival, Hylands Park, UK 2014VIDEO VISIONARY AWARD
Duran Duran WORLDWIDE ACT: North America
Canada – Justin Bieber WORLDWIDE ACT: LATIN America
Brazil – Anitta WORLDWIDE ACT: Europe
Italy – Marco Mengoni WORLDWIDE ACT: Africa / India
Africa – Diamond Platnumz WORLDWIDE ACT: Asia
China – Jane Zhang WORLDWIDE ACT: Australia / New Zealand
Australia – 5 Seconds of Summer About the 2015 MTV EMAs
The 2015 MTV EMAs
, in partnership with Tezenis Underwear and Guitar Hero Live, was broadcast LIVE across the globe on Sunday, 25 October at 9:00PM CET* from the Mediolanum Forum in Milan, in partnership with Expo 2015. One of the biggest global music events of the year that celebrates the hottest artists from around the world, the MTV EMAs bring music fans a unique, multi-platform experience across MTV's global network of more than 60 channels and over 300 digital media properties and platforms. Follow @MTVEMA on Facebook
, and Vine
, and join the conversation with #MTVEMA. Fans are invited to participate in the 2015 MTV EMAs campaign using MTV Bump
. Bruce Gillmer and Richard Godfrey are Executive Producers for the 2015 MTV EMAs. For MTV EMA news, updates and press materials please visit press.mtvema.com
*Check local listings.About MTV
MTV is the world's premier youth entertainment brand. With a global reach of nearly 785 million households, MTV is the cultural home of the millennial generation, music fans and artists, and a pioneer in creating innovative programming for young people. MTV reflects and creates pop culture with its award-winning content built around compelling storytelling, music discovery and activism across TV, online and mobile. Outside of the United States, MTV is part of Viacom International Media Networks, a division of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA), one of the world's leading creators of programming and content across all platforms. Press Contacts Janice Gatti
+1 (212) 846-8852 Kate Laverge
+1 (212) 654-4335