The impressive success of the "2013 MTV EMA," which was held at Amsterdam's Ziggo Dome, was driven by significant results in the host country of the Netherlands, which saw a huge, triple-digit increase of +162% versus last year among 12-24s and thus delivered MTV's best Sunday prime time performance of 2013. In the Netherlands, MTV was the #1 channel for 12-24s among its main competitors during the EMA timeslot.
Other key markets that saw significant growth include the UK, where the EMA was up +169% compared to last year among its local demo of 12-24s. In Italy, the EMA achieved double-digit year-on-year growth of +14% among its core demo of 12-24s. This year's EMA was the #1 show in Spain for 12-24s among MTV's main competitors.
This early ratings data suggests the "2013 MTV EMA" is on course to achieve a higher consolidated worldwide audience than last year, when an estimated 39.4 million viewers tuned in to the 2012 show from Frankfurt – a record global audience for the awards show since its launch in 1994 2.
The "2013 MTV EMA" also drew an incredible, record-breaking response on MTV's digital and social platforms, marking this year's show as the best ever in network history for votes, visitors, video views and social media activity.
· Fans around the world cast a staggering 292 million votes across all EMA digital platforms – up +59% versus last year and the highest total ever – to help decide the "2013 MTV EMA" winners.
o In addition, more than 31 million votes were cast for the U.S. category: Artist on the Rise.
· This year's EMA also drew the highest-ever number of visitors to the EMA digital platforms, recording 11.6 million visitors, representing an increase of +52% year over year.
· The "2013 MTV EMA" inspired the largest ever number of video views, with a total of 5.9 million views registered across all EMA platforms, up +38% compared to last year.
· It was the EMAs' best ever year for live stream viewing, with 2.2 million views across EMA digital platforms, up 55% versus last year.
· The "2013 MTV EMA" also sparked an enormous volume of social media mentions. Globally, across all social media sites, there were 57.9 million mentions of the EMAs, an incredible triple-digital increase of +624% year over year.
· The show landed more than 30 worldwide trending topics.
The MTV EMA – MTV's global celebration of the hottest stars in music – recognizes artists from around the world and across genres, and brings together music fans everywhere for a one-of-a-kind experience in the weeks leading up to and at the show. The "2013 MTV EMA" aired across MTV's global network of more than 60 channels reaching nearly 700 million households around the world as well as through syndication. In addition, its convergent programming and content will reach the entire interactive community, via MTV's more than 200 digital media properties around the world. Bruce Gillmer and Richard Godfrey are Executive Producers for the "2013 MTV EMA." For MTV EMA news and announcements, check out EMA on Facebook or follow us @mtvema. For MTV EMA press materials, please visit press.mtvema.com or follow us @VIMN_PR.
1Markets measured so far include the UK, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Australia, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Poland, Belgium, Switzerland, Greece, Portugal, South Africa, Hungary, China, the Philippines, Singapore and the USA.
2 Audience reach Estimate, all individuals – watching for at least 1 minute.