PRODUCTION, STAGE, SET & TECH
· This year's set has been designed by celebrated German stage and set designer Florian Wieder, who previously worked on the MTV EMA in Frankfurt, Berlin, Munich and Liverpool. Although Florian's exact designs for this year remain under wraps, MTV can reveal the show may have elements of an 'out of this world' theme, describing it as a "Fun. Party. Alien."
· The "2013 MTV EMA" will feature more lights and lasers than ever before, giving this year's EMA a truly intergalactic look and feel!
· In order to stage the "2013 MTV EMA":
o Nearly 10,000 kilometres of cable will be laid down
o 1,200 flight case boxes will be used to transport equipment such as lights, cameras and tripods
o 20 HD cameras are used to shoot the show
o 40 TV screens help the crews backstage keep an eye on the action.
· More than 1,000 local people turned up to three casting calls last weekend, to demonstrate exactly what they would do for an EMA ticket. A number of bold, brilliant and truly out of this world MTV fans turned up, including a lively troop of cheerleaders, aliens and space-men! One standout entrant presented a series of One Direction pencil sketches, another local fashion designer impressed the judges with her passion for creativity and three others drove all the way from Germany, having met on Facebook through the casting call!
· In the lead up to the "2013 MTV EMA," MTV ran a competition on Twitter to give fans the opportunity to attend the EMAs and experience the big show at the Ziggo Dome. For a chance to win a pair of tickets to the show, fans tweeted @mtvema telling them why they are the most #EMAzingFan. The response was staggering – with 54,285 contest entries from more than 80 countries coming in over six days, while @mtvema and fan tweets generated more than 15 million impressions on Twitter.
· The 40 person EMA "glam squad" have spent more than 150 hours with lead make-up artist Debbie Dannell creating the looks for the show, using:
o 10,000 diamantes
o 30 litres of body paints
o 5000+ boxes of diamantes, 3D glitters and shimmers
o 20 litres of liquid latex
o 150 pairs of false eyelashes
o 100 retro matt lipsticks
o 100 retro matt lip pencils
o 75 blot powders
o 20 kilos of glitter
· Keep your eyes peeled for dancers who will be decorated head to toe in show-stopping body art created by graffiti artist The Urbanist!
· The team will be working closely with hair stylists from UNITE hair products who will be using products used on fashion catwalks around the globe, including London, New York and Paris Fashion Week.
· A separate backstage wiggery has been installed this year to house 500 wigs, 100 hairpieces and 100 wig caps that will all need to be prepped in advance of the show.
· Over 40 large suitcases of costumes have been flown in to dress the dancers alone for the "2013 MTV EMA" – expect to see lots of silver metallic and futuristic fabrics!
· This year's show will feature a number of ultra-modern, space-age hats by London-based designer Dinu Bodicu, tipped as one of the industry's most popular up and coming designers!
· An insider revealed that one of the bespoke costumes to feature on stage on Sunday night has been dubbed "3 Boobs" (!)
· 2013 MTV EMA Intergalactic MC Redfoo will be sporting designs from his own clothing range, Le Freak. Look out for lots of animal print and fluorescent colours!
· Spot the celebrity who will be wearing a very unusual helmet, which has been put together with pieces sourced from five countries.
· Canadian-New Zealand fashion brand Don't Shoot The Messenger (DSTM) have created a number of pieces for the "2013 MTV EMA". Their darkly feminine designs are made up of ultra-modern pieces that perfectly capture the outlandish theme of the show.
· Performers and presenters will have the opportunity to be polished to perfection at the EMA SPA – an exclusive backstage beauty and relaxation facility.
o Artists and performers can be treated to a raft of therapies, including massage treatments from Ibiza Angels, who will provide rejuvenating head, neck and shoulder massages using an array of luxury products from Kiehls.
· The dressing room area will consist of more than 40 rooms for the star-studded line-up of "2013 MTV EMA" performers and presenters.
· The crew have ordered 3,000 square meters of carpet, 2,000m of panelling, 350 trestle tables, 500 towels and 400m of extension leads (power strips).
· The most unusual item requested for one mystery celebrities' dressing room is a 20lb dumbbell.
· The talent dressing rooms will be littered with refreshments, including:
o 150 bottles of red wine
o 150 bottles of white wine
o 125 cases of Heineken beer (3000 bottles)
o 85 bottles of vodka
o 48 bottles of rum
o 30 bottles of whiskey
o 40 bottles of Patron
o 2160 units of Coke
o 1200 units of Sprite
o 2160 units of "Get Real" energy drink
o 1200 bottles of Marie-Stella-Maris sparkling water
· Monster have arranged a Monster DNA Gifting Suite whereby talent will be invited in to have a pair of DNA headphones custom-created to suit their style. These fashion forward headphones not only bring music listeners a new and powerful sound, but a unique focus on music sharing, music community, and social awareness by partnering with the MTV Staying Alive Foundation. Additional pairs of Monster DNA headphones autographed by "2013 MTV EMA" talent will be auctioned off to raise funds for the MTV Staying Alive Foundation and their campaign against HIV and AIDS.
· Throughout rehearsals and on show day, essence cosmetics will welcome "2013 MTV EMA" celebrities to its backstage styling zone, with two skilled make-up and nail artists showcasing the latest collection of essence products. essence will offer professional nail stylings, make-overs and the opportunity to test their products.
ARTIST AND CREW CATERING
· "2013 MTV EMA" performers, presenters and crew will enjoy delicacies from specialist showbiz location Eat Your Hearts Outusing locally sourced ingredients. The team have ordered in four tons of ice, along with countless pounds of potatoes, butter, cream and sugar. Somewhere between 38,000 to 40,000 meals will be cooked during the week-long build up to the show.
· 2500 kilos of ice will be used throughout show week
· The artist catering area, decked out with hot pink sofas, bright green rugs and low spiralled lighting will provide an area of calm for the performers and presenters.
· Celebrities wanting their five a day will be able to enjoy the 5ft tower of mixed fruit.
· This year's dancers, provided by MTV EMA veteran Aicha McKenzie will be choreographed by Kristin Denehy.
· Auditions for the "2013 MTV EMA" started back in September in the heart of Amsterdam – an ideal location to accommodate the 500+ dancers who travelled from all corners of Europe to audition for just 50 spots!
For more backstage news and behind the scenes facts, following #EMAscoop on Twitter NOW!
About the 2013 MTV EMA
The MTV EMA – MTV's global celebration of the hottest stars in music – recognizes artists from around the world and across genres, and brings together music fans everywhere for a one-of-a-kind experience in the weeks leading up to and at the show.
Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke, Bruno Mars, Kings of Leon, Snoop Dogg, Afrojack, Imagine Dragons, Icona Pop, The Killers andKaty Perry are all set to perform at the "2013 MTV EMA," which will also feature the evening's MC Redfoo, backstage hostAriana Grande and special guest Ron Burgundy of Anchorman 2 (Will Ferrell). Jared Leto, Rita Ora, Bridgit Mendler, Iggy Azalea, Ellie Goulding, Carice van Houten and Colton Haynes are also confirmed to present.
Justin Timberlake and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis lead the "2013 MTV EMA" nominations with five nods each, while Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and Robin Thicke are each up for four awards. Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Green Day, Thirty Seconds to Mars, Daft Punk, Rudimental, Icona Pop and One Direction are each nominated for three awards. Artists with two EMA nods include Rihanna, Katy Perry, Eminem, Jay Z, Bastille, Imagine Dragons, The Killers, Paramore, Rita Ora, Drake, Afrojack, Avicii, Calvin Harris and Iggy Azalea.
The "2013 MTV EMA" will air across MTV's global network of more than 60 channels reaching nearly 700 million households around the world as well as through syndication. In addition, its convergent programming and content will reach the entire interactive community, via MTV's more than 200 digital media properties around the world. Bruce Gillmer and Richard Godfrey are Executive Producers for the "2013 MTV EMA." For MTV EMA news and announcements, check out EMA on Facebook or follow us @mtvema. For MTV EMA press materials, please visit press.mtvema.com or follow @VIMN_PR for all the #EMAscoop.